You will love this easy, quick, super-moist strawberry lemonade cupcakes recipe! Includes directions on how to prepare a fresh strawberry buttercream frosting.
- 1 (18.25 oz.) strawberry cake mix
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp.) lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup pureed strawberries (made from fresh or frozen strawberries)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, store-bought or homemade
- 3 – 4 cups powdered sugar (adjust to achieve desired consistency)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Add the cake mix, buttermilk, oil and lemon juice to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Add eggs one at a time, until the batter is well-mixed. Increase speed to high and beat until thick and fluffy, 2 minutes longer.
- Pour or scoop the batter into the paper liners until they are 2/3 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool on a wire rack.
To Make Frosting:
- Cream butter in an electric mixer on medium-speed until smooth and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Then add in the strawberries, vanilla and lemon juice, and mix on low-speed until combined. Gradually add in the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Then beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, another 3-5 minutes. (Add in more powdered sugar if consistency is too thin.)