How to make the perfect blend of fall flavors and the taste of childhood? Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, of course! There’s no better way to spread some autumn cheer than with this quick and easy recipe!
Whoopie Pie Ingredients:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp. ground cloves
- 2 cups firmly packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups pumpkin puree, chilled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
For the whoopie pies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves; set aside. In another bowl, whisk together brown sugar and oil until well combined. Add pumpkin puree and whisk until combined. Add eggs and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Sprinkle flour mixture over pumpkin mixture and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Using a small ice cream scoop with a release mechanism, drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 1-inch apart. Transfer to oven and bake until cookies are just starting to crack on top and toothpick inserted into the center of cookie comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely on pan.
!For the cream cheese filling:
- Sift confectioners’ sugar into a medium bowl; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth. Add cream cheese and beat until well combined. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla, beat just until smooth.
- Transfer filling to a pastry bag and pipe onto whoopie pie (turned over, the flat side facing up) and pipe almost to the edge; filling the surface area. Place second whoopie pie (flat side facing down towards filling) and gently press until the filling spreads to the edge of the cookie.
- Place cookies on baking sheet with parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate cookies at least 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
Silly question, but is pumpkin puree just canned pumpkin? This looks super yummy!
I think I’ll be baking these on Thursday. Thanks for the recipe! They look amazing.
Yum! I love pumpkin! I`ll be making these soon. ;)
What a gorgeous photo. Wish I had a couple sitting next to me right now. : )
I never knew what a whoopie Pie was until I met my husband. He’s from Pennsylvania and they have them all over the place up there. My favorite are the pumpkin ones.
Oh, yum! These look so good! Wish you could send me a batch of these! If you ever decide to start a mail order business, I’ll be your first customer, and these will be my first order!!
These look amazing! I have some fresh pumpkin puree in my fridge, so I might have to make a batch or two :)
Gorgeous space you have here! Glad to have discovered you :-)
Keep up the good work n I promise to come back again!
Delicious! Very much like carrott cake with the icing and all except you have the excuse to eat it with your hands cause it’s a “cookie”!
My cream cheese filling did not turn out nearly as thick as yours looks! It was terribly runny, I’m sure it wasn’t the recipe but more my failings! I may try a maple butter cream next time. Otherwise, they were delicious. Thank you for posting!
i like pie!!!!! great food!!!!!!!!!
Making these tomorrow night for a “pumpkin throwdown” at work. About how many does this recipe make? Not sure if I need to double it. Can’t wait to try them!
Yummy! Pumpkin cookies is most favorite when Halloween is coming. Kids will surely love this if I give some of them in their trick and treats. Lol. Thanks!
dang. i will be referring back to this!
Made this for my fiancé the other night. He ate four in one sitting lol. They’re delicious. The pumpkin halves are delicious even by themselves.
Better try this recipe. Thanks for sharing this. Maybe some chocolate syrup will make it more yummier.
Yummy whoopie pies — great Fall dessert
Very nice i realy like your blog you are doing very hard work bookmarked******