How to make the perfect blend of fall flavors and the taste of childhood? Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, of course! There’s no better way to spread some autumn cheer than with this quick and easy recipe!
Whoopie Pie Ingredients:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp. ground cloves
- 2 cups firmly packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups pumpkin puree, chilled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
For the whoopie pies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves; set aside. In another bowl, whisk together brown sugar and oil until well combined. Add pumpkin puree and whisk until combined. Add eggs and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Sprinkle flour mixture over pumpkin mixture and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Using a small ice cream scoop with a release mechanism, drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 1-inch apart. Transfer to oven and bake until cookies are just starting to crack on top and toothpick inserted into the center of cookie comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely on pan.
!For the cream cheese filling:
- Sift confectioners’ sugar into a medium bowl; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth. Add cream cheese and beat until well combined. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla, beat just until smooth.
- Transfer filling to a pastry bag and pipe onto whoopie pie (turned over, the flat side facing up) and pipe almost to the edge; filling the surface area. Place second whoopie pie (flat side facing down towards filling) and gently press until the filling spreads to the edge of the cookie.
- Place cookies on baking sheet with parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate cookies at least 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking